The Capurro Brothers are the great-grandsons of James Gault who settled in Sparks in 1870. The Gaults raised alfalfa hay, beef and dairy cows, and horses on the original 600-acre farm. In 1952, John Capurro, Sr., purchased the west half of the ranch to establish a 50-head milking cow operation. In the early 1960’s, the dairy cows were sold as well as the family’s home and most of the land to make way for McCarran Blvd., and later Wild Creek Golf Course. The remaining acres have been maintained in native grass and are used for pasture. Memorable features on the original ranch were the five ponds located in various places. This is where fishing and hunting was a daily activity for the Capurro brothers, a passion they still share today. In 2006, the Capurro Brothers farm was a recipient of the Nevada Centennial Award Ranch & Farm Award.
This entry is from the Nevada Centennial Awards Ranch & Farm Program which recognizes agricultural families who have owned and operated the same land in Nevada for 100 years or more. Forty-seven families have now been inducted into the program that began in 2004. The awards program is sponsored by the Nevada Agriculture Plate funds, Farm Bureau, Agricultural Foundation, Nevada Department of Agriculture, Cattlemen’s Association and USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service. For more information about the Nevada Centennial Awards Ranch & Farm Program please visit http://agri.nv.gov/.