Nevada Legacy Projects
The Statewide Nevada 150 Commission will oversee the management of specific legacy projects throughout the Sesquicentennial Year. The following legacy projects will take place to commemorate Nevada’s 150th birthday:
- Commemorative Nevada 150 Book
The Planning Committee authorized Stephens Press to publish a premium hardcover book that is designated the official commemorative book and a legacy project. Nevada magazine will utilize its existing publications to feature historical content related to the Sesquicentennial. History will be one element of the contemporary book, and many of the state’s best writers and photographers will provide original work. Produced at no charge to the Planning Committee, book sales will generate a royalty to the Nevada 150 Foundation. In addition, a number of copies will be made available to the Statewide Commission and the Nevada 150 Foundation for presentations or other uses.
- John Livermore Medallion
The Tonopah Historic Mining Park has created a spectacular two ounce silver medallion commemorating the life and achievements of our friend John Livermore (1918-2013.) The Mining Park is one of the best mining exhibits in the West and a “must see” in Tonopah. John, through his Public Resource Associates, provided the Park’s seed money. His long support of the Park, part of his commitment to preservation, is but one of his lasting legacies. John Livermore’s accomplishments are known to all mining geologists. His geologic work, along with Alan Coope, led to the discovery of the Carlin trend and other major gold-bearing lineaments. John’s work is responsible for 70 million ounces of gold recovered in the Carlin trend and 100 million ounces in Nevada since the 1960’s. John introduced a new generation of mining geologists to the world of microscopic gold deposits. A field geologist at heart, John remained true to his calling his entire life, easily turning down high-level management jobs that would put him at a desk. The Livermore medallion, at two troy ounces, is twice the size of the normal silver medallion to reflect John’s larger than life achievement as the “Father of the Modern Nevada Gold Boom.” The commemorative medallion is made on a limited basis and comes in two forms: 1.) a proof silver piece with reflective flat and frosted raised surfaces at a cost of $100.00 each and 2.) the same coin with 24kt gold plating of the frosted relief and border at $125.00 each. All medallions are encapsulated in a clear plastic shell to protect the surface. Insured shipping for one medallion is an additional $7.50 and a double set is $10.00. For additional medallions, please inquire. A limited number of display boxes are available: a box for a single coin is $7.50 and the double medallion presentation box is $10.00. A portion of the proceeds goes to the Tonopah Historic Mining Park Endowment Fund. To obtain medallions please make checks payable to Tonopah Historic Mining Park noting Medallion Sales in the memo of your check and mail to: MEDALLION SALES, Tonopah Historic Mining Park, P.O. Box 965, Tonopah, Nevada 89049. For questions or additional information please call 702-293-6935. http://www.
- Battle Mountain History Book
The central Nevada town of Battle Mountain began as a railroad station in 1869 and developed quickly as both an important supply center for surrounding mining camps and ranches and a hospitable rest stop for travelers crossing Nevada by the transcontinental railroad and U.S. Highway 40. Nearly as old as Nevada itself, Battle Mountain remains a vital mining and ranching hub and continues to welcome adventurous visitors. The town’s rich history is the subject of a book being published by the Lander County Historical Society and Museum in the summer of 2014. Enthusiastically supported by the community, generously underwritten by local businesses, and authored by Nevada historian Dana Bennett, this book is the first to focus directly on the town and will feature previously-unpublished photographs and maps. For more information, please contact the Battle Mountain Cookhouse Museum.
- “Nevada Women’s Legacy – 150 Years of Excellence”
The non-profit 501(c)(3) organization Women of Diversity Productions, Inc. (WOD) has initiated a cultural and historical project celebrating women of the Nevada Sesquicentennial entitled “The Nevada Woman’s Legacy – 150 Years of Excellence”. WOD. including more than a dozen other organizational representatives, will encourage and work with communities state-wide to collect and permanently store and display oral histories, video interviews, diaries, photographs, and personal treasures of Nevada women and their contributions to making “Nevada Proud, Nevada Battle Born”. Assistance provided by WOD includes: partnering with communities to create permanent exhibitions, identifying women to be interviewed, video recording these interviews and developing WOD website content and linkages. Contact Marlene via the website www.nevadawomensvirtualcenter.org or telephone 702.655.2146. Volunteers are welcome within communities throughout the state. Recommendations of women to be video interviewed should include a photograph, contact information and a short bio, not more than 500 words, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Portrait of Latinos in Southern Nevada: 1986 – 2004
The project will consist of developing for publication an attractively designed hard cover, 100-page length book of photographs of Latino people living in Southern Nevada. The purpose of the book is to tell in photographs the important story of Latino people living, working, and playing in Southern Nevada. Part I will consist of approximately fifty (50) contemporary color photographs illustrative of the present-day Latino community. Part II will consist of approximately 35-40 black and white photographs of Latinos as they were photographed back in 1986 as part of a photo-documentary project funded by the Nevada Humanities Committee titled, A Portrait of Hispanics In Clark County, Nevada. Collectively, the contemporary and historical photographs will allow readers unique insights into how the Latino community in Southern Nevada has evolved in the twenty-eight (28) years since that first photography project. It is intended that the book will serve to significantly raise public awareness in Nevada of some of the important contributions Latinos have made to the State of Nevada, and who were some of the major Latinos leaders who helped to advance the status of Latinos in Southern Nevada. When completed, the publication will be widely distributed throughout the State of Nevada to libraries, schools, civic organizations, museums, local and state governmental entities, Hispanic organizations and to the general public. For more information about this project please contact Project Coordinator Thomas Rodriguez of the Latin Chamber of Commerce of Nevada at 702-385-7367.
- “RESETTING THE NEVADA CENTENNIAL MARKERS” On the Old Spanish Trail through Southern Nevada
One of the strategic goals of the Nevada Chapter of the Old Spanish Trail Association (OSTA-NV Chapter) by 2014 is to provide the Nevada State Sesquicentennial Commission with an OST Project befitting the 150th birthday Celebration of the State of Nevada, in conjunction with the NV Chapter’s hosting of the Annual Conference of the Old Spanish Trail National Association in Las Vegas in the spring/early summer of 2014. The object of the NV Chapter – OSTA is to provide educational advocacy and participation for Trail and history enthusiasts and to encourage youth and adult participation in protecting, maintaining and interpreting the Trail and its land marks crossing Southern Nevada, including the reestablishment of the ‘27 Centennial Markers’ set in 1964 as a part of Nevada’s 100th birthday celebration. The first marker for this project was dedicated by Governor Brian Sandoval at the Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort State Park on October 30, 2013. For information on Old Spanish Trail Association, please contact Nicole Marie Dominguez, President, NV Chapter, OSTA at (702) 592-3953 or AshleyHall1@cox.net.
- Historic Motel Lariat Sign
The fully-restored sign, donated to the Churchill Arts Council by Ray and Dee Dee Ferguson in 2005, was re-lit as a commemorative piece of Nevada history to usher in the state’s and Fallon’s year-long sesquicentennial celebrations. On October 31, 2014 Fallon Mayor Jeff Tedford flipped the switch on Fallon’s iconic neon sign which is now on display at the Oats Park Art Center. As one of the early Fallon motels, the Lariat erected its neon sign in the early 1950s. The sign represents Nevada’s long history with Americana featuring a cowboy on horseback roping the motel logo. The cowboy can be perceived as roping Fallon into a time of modern technology, bringing the agricultural town into the light as Nevada began to make its mark on the United States in the mid-20th century. “It is culturally significant to recognize the importance of this sign in Nevada’s history by restoring it,” said Valerie Serpa, Churchill Arts Council Executive Eirector. “This is a very well-known and fondly remembered piece of historical artwork from a turning point in the state’s history when Nevada truly began to experience growth in its rural communities as well as in Reno and Las Vegas. We are thrilled to celebrate the re-lighting of this sign in honor of the State’s 150th birthday.” Funding for restoration of the sign was provided by the Nevada Commission on Tourism with additional support from the City of Fallon, Don Sefton/Systems Consultants, Young Electric Sign Company (YESCO), Mike Ryle/Dreambuilders Construction and Grant Mills/Mills Farm & Industrial.
- “Home Means Nevada” Reno Philharmonic Orchestra and ChorusThe Nevada state song “Home Means Nevada” was written in 1932 by Bertha Rafetto but only has sheet music for the song (piano and vocal line) and does not have a full orchestral and choral arrangement available. The Reno Philharmonic is participating in the Nevada Sesquicentennial Celebration by commissioning and making available new arrangements of the State Song “Home Means Nevada” for choirs and orchestras throughout the state. The Reno Philharmonic has commissioned Nevada composer/arranger David Bugli to arrange versions of the song to use by elementary level strings, middle and high school strings, elementary level choir (Unison) and middle school level choir (Soprano, Alto, Bass) throughout the State during the Sesquicentennial year. Thanks to a significant grant from the E. L. Wiegand Foundation, the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus has recorded seven different orchestral and choral versions of the state song suitable for all levels of ensemble. All the recordings and sheet music are available for download on this site. All recordings and sheet music are available for download at www.RenoPhil.com.
- Historical Nevada Diorama
TThis diorama is the fruition of over seven years of work by two of Nevada’s best. Dan Mooney, who was instrumental in the dedication and construction of the C-Hill Flag, and Greg Melton, who’s bronze statues adorn state grounds and buildings throughout state, spent hundreds of hours crafting this scene portraying a prospector, his wife, and their dog in a setting similar to that of most period miners. Made of Nevada metals including bronze, steel, and multitudes of copper and pure silver, this diorama is a truly unique, and beautiful piece of Nevada memorabilia. Coupled with the patina of the aged copper, reflective nature of the silver, and the tasteful accent lighting features, the scene creates a beautiful look at what was a truly unique living experience in the days of Nevada. Both hardship and triumph are expressed in this piece, and in a sense that all Nevadans’ can identify with. Although the pair have received significant financial offers for the piece, they are adamant about donating it to the States Sesquicentennial Celebration, and securing a location for it to be enjoyed by generations of Nevadan’s in the future.
- “150 Years of Nevada Medicine: Nevada’s Men and Women Healers” Book by Dr. Robert Daugherty and Dr. Anton Sohn
This book will tell the stories of the men and women who have contributed to Nevada’s unique culture by delivering healthcare to its citizens for over one hundred and fifty years. These stories and histories of little known women and men who have developed Nevada’s Healthcare system and have made important contributions should not be forgotten or lost in history. Retelling their stories will help Nevada citizens realize their relatives, neighbors, and acquaintances have a history to be remembered. These citizens have stepped forward and called attention to contributions, which have contributed to Nevada’s history. The subjects of the book are grouped into eleven chapters: Medical Education, Medical Disciplines, Hospitals, Frontier Military Medicine, Native American Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Diseases, The Hood Dynasty, Nineteenth-Century Doctors, Twentieth-Century Doctors, and Unusual. For additional information please contact Dr. Anton Sohn at 775-741-5583 or email@example.com.
- Planting of Trees at Historic Dangberg Ranch
The Dangberg Home Ranch Historic Park preserves an essential chapter in Nevada’s history. It began in 1857 when German immigrant Heinrich Friedrich Dangberg built a cabin, then cleared and irrigated the land. He also married, and the cabin grew into a large house as he and his wife, Maggie, raised five children. Dangberg prospered, and his success as a rancher, businessman and politician established the Dangbergs as one of the most influential families in Carson Valley history. Today, the 100-year-old trees that shade the property are nearing the end of their life-span. But, with support from Douglas County and Mountain View Tree Farm, the non-profit Friends of Dangberg Home Ranch is planting new trees to ensure shade for future generations. A public ceremony to finalize the tree planting will take place at the park at 12:30 pm on May 10, with Lt. Governor Brian Krolicki participating and also presenting the park’s award for its win in the 2013 Discover Your Nevada contest. Donations to support this and other projects of the Friends of Dangberg Home Ranch, a 501(c)(3) Nevada non-profit dedicated to the operation and preservation of the park, are welcome and may be tax-deductible. For additional information or to learn how you can help please contact Mark Jensen at 775-783-9417 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nevada EMS A History of Emergency Medical Services in Nevada
This is book dedicated to my history of Emergency Medical Service in Nevada. It has been developed by interviewing in person and by phone more than 150 people across the Silver State. The interviews have been videotaped, usually, and have had contemporaneous notes made by the author and then edited and put into story form. This is the history of EMS in Nevada as told by the people who lived it and was written by Elwood L Schmidt, MD with photography by John Kasinger. For additional information or to purchase a copy of the book please visit www.nevadaemshistory.com.
- Reno Historical App
Reno Historical is a mobile app and website that lets you explore the history of Reno, NV through concise location-based essays, oral history, archival images, and documentary film. The project is dependent on archives and volunteers who supply essays, historical images, interviews, and expertise. Editors ensure that the app provides interesting and reliable information about Reno historical sites. Grants from Nevada Humanities, the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the Historic Reno Preservation Society have supported the development of the app and website. Follow the project on Twitter @RenoHistorical, or contact the project by email at email@example.com
- Aurora Veterans Memorial
To commemorate Nevada’s 150 years of Statehood, the Mineral County Board of Commissioners and the Mineral County Museum have commissioned the erection of a memorial monument to the several military veterans who were buried in the cemetery in the ghost town of Aurora. Their graves were never marked and the memorial monument will at last properly honor their memories and service to the nation. Aurora became the county seat of Esmeralda County, in the region of the county that in 1911 was established as Mineral County. Although Aurora boomed in great fashion in its peak years of 1860 to 1865, mining disputes, speculations and stock sales soon collapsed the town’s predicted potential. During its many hopeful years thereafter, Aurora sustained a steady level of mining and residents, some of whom were military veterans of at least three U. S. wars – War of 1812, Mexican War and the Civil War. Nine of those veterans died while they were residents of the town and were given proper burial by their fellow townspeople in the cemetery north of the town. Mineral County’s Nevada Sesquicentennial Legacy project will serve not only to memorialize these veterans, but to commemorate the spirit and character of the people of Nevada – then and now – who took the time recognize the sacrifices of those who have gone before them. For additional information more information, check out the Mineral County Museum’s Facebook or call us at 775-945-5142.
- Admiral Halsey’s Saddle
A Western saddle handcrafted by Reno residents in 1945 and sent as a special gift to Admiral William Halsey to mark the surrender of Japanese forces in World War II makes its way home to Nevada for its Sesquicentennial celebration. The Halsey Saddle arrived in Carson City from the U.S. Naval Academy Museum in Annapolis, MD, on a three-year loan. It will be housed at the Nevada State Museum in Carson City in honor of the state’s 150th birthday and will tour the state. After the attack on Pearl Harbor and years of war, Admiral Halsey told the media in 1945 that he wanted to ride the white horse of the Japanese emperor. Inspired to help him do just that, within five months the Reno Chamber of Commerce had commissioned and built a saddle in a promotion to purchase war bonds. When Washoe County fulfilled their bond quota, local businesses fashioned the saddle, silver and bridle. Craftsmen from the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe sent specially made beaded buckskin riding gloves. The story of the Reno saddle drew the attention of Life Magazine, National Geographic and Western Horseman before the saddle made its way to Guam and then Tokyo Bay. It was aboard the USS Missouri for the Sept. 2, 1945 signing of Japanese surrender documents on Halsey’s flagship, bringing an end to World War II. The ship issued a post card that day, sporting the image of the Halsey Saddle. Washoe Family Court Judge Chuck Weller uncovered the history of the saddle and traveled to the academy to discuss the saddle’s return to Nevada. Kai Wallis, president of the Reno Council of the Navy League, arranged to finance the saddle’s visit through a generous donation from the E. L. Cord Foundation. For additional information about the Halsey Saddle please visit www.museums.nevadaculture.org or call 775-687-4810.
- Von Schmidt’s Survey of the Nevada Border
Historical/Cultural Significance: Von Schmidt was a Latvian surveyor and civil engineer who surveyed the entire CA-NV boundary in 1872-73 for the Federal Government. His survey superseded the 1863 boundary survey done by the State of California and the US Territory of Nevada. Von Schmidt’s work was brought into question over the years, and in the late 1970’s a suit was brought before the US Supreme Court to settle the boundary questions between the two states. In 1981 the Court approved Von Schmidt’s survey from Lake Tahoe north to the Oregon border, but rejected his oblique line from Lake Tahoe south to the Colorado River. The US Coast & Geodetic Survey’s 1890’s survey was approved for the oblique line. Von Schmidt set mile posts at each mile along the entire 600+ mile boundary, from Oregon to the Colorado River, but only set 4 iron monuments: one at Verdi (which is being restored), one at the railroad in the Truckee River Canyon (which has been drastically moved to avoid destruction), one at the north shore of Lake Tahoe and one on the Colorado River (which has also been relocated to preserve it).
- Original 1874 University of Nevada Bell Restoration
The University of Nevada opened its doors in Elko, Nevada on October 12, 1874. On October 26, 1974, a dedication was held for a bell monument that was erected as part of the University of Nevada Centennial Celebration. The original University of Nevada Bell had been moved to Reno when the University of Nevada left Elko. The original bell was returned to Elko as part of University of Nevada Centennial Celebration and is now located on the Elko High School campus in the original location of the university. The wood timber bell monument has deteriorated and is being replaced by a new brick monument. The rededication will mark the 140th year of the University of Nevada and the site where higher education began in Nevada. Join University alumni and friends in northeastern Nevada who are working to build a new monument structure for the bell from the original University of Nevada building in Elko. Please make checks payable to: Nevada Alumni Association – Bell Restoration Project. If you are interested in supporting this project, please call the Nevada Alumni Association at 888-NV ALUMS or send your donation to: University of Nevada Foundation/0162, Reno, Nevada, 89557.
- Sesquicentennial Sagebrush Art Piece
In honor of Nevada’s Sesquicentennial, the Elko Arts and Culture Advisory Board and the City of Elko has hired metal artist and Elko County native Susan Church to build a sculpture of a sagebrush using recycled Nevada fence posts. The sculpture will serve as the lid to a time capsule that will be opened in Elko in 50 years on Nevada’s 200th birthday. The sculpture will be approximately 7 feet tall by 7 feet around and have 15 branches, each symbolizing 10 years of statehood. Each branch will have 10 brass leaves for a total of 150 and will be stamped with dates and important events. The brass leaves will, over time, age to a sage green color. Two additional elements will include a Mountain Bluebird perched on one of the branches and a family of Sage Grouse living underneath the Sesquicentennial Sagebrush. The sculpture and time capsule will be dedicated and closed in mid October. For additional information about this project please contact the City of Elko Arts and Culture Advisory Council at www.elkocity.com or call 775-777-7110.
- 50th Anniversary of The Beatles Las Vegas Concert Plaque
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) celebrated the 50th anniversary of The Beatles only performance in Nevada by unveiling a permanent plaque on the site of the two sold-out concerts at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The plaque, located in the grand lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center near the N1 Hall entrance, marks the approximate spot of the where the stage was set for the legendary bands’ 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. shows on August 20, 1964. The plaque features a photo of The Beatles arriving at what was then known as McCarran Field and a replica of LVCVA President/CEO Rossi Ralenkotter’s ticket to the second show. For additional information please visit www.lvcva.com or call 702-735-3611.
- “Nine Cheers for the Silver State” Painting by Steven Saylor
Renowned Nevada artist Steven Saylor is celebrating the 150th anniversary of Nevada statehood by painting “Nine Cheers for the Silver State”. The painting serves as a fundraiser for the Comstock Foundation for History and Culture, a non-profit organization dedicated to the restoration of the Comstock Historic District, a National Historic Landmark. Saylor’s painting takes its title from a headline that appeared in the Gold Hill Daily News on Oct. 31, 1864. The image features current governor, Brian Sandoval, former governors Paul Laxalt, Bob List (and his dog Sunshine), Dick Bryan, and Bob Miller, current U.S. senators, Harry Reid and Dean Heller, and U.S. Congressman Mark Amodei. The painting also features former first ladies Dema Guinn and Dawn Gibbons, representing those two administrations, and Comstock Foundation directors Corrado De Gasperis, John Winfield, and Ron James. Gov. Sandoval is signing a proclamation commemorating Nevada’s admission into the Union, and Mark Amodei is reading an 1864 issue of the Territorial Enterprise, which includes an article on statehood. The Comstock Foundation will make 150 numbered prints of the painting available for purchase. Each copy will include a one ounce medallion celebrating the 150th anniversary of statehood, minted from pure Comstock silver from Comstock Mining’s operation. The cost of each print, including a Comstock silver medallion, is $1,150. For an additional $400, the print will be framed and will include a second medallion. The Foundation is also offering 15 special re-marqued artist’s proofs for $1,400. Pre-sale reservations can be made through PayPal, available at the Comstock Foundation website, www.comstockfoundation.org or by calling Johnye Saylor at 775-742-0588.
- St. Augustine’s Cultural Center
Dedicated Christmas Eve 1866, St. Augustine’s is the oldest standing Catholic Church in Nevada. The church is located on a prominent hill in Austin’s narrow canyon. Its stately aura is compelling and dominates the town. The wood and tin-clad spire rises seventy-five feet, making the structure very tall with its narrow Gothic Revival style. Built into the hillside on solid granite, both the bricks and granite used in construction were from the old Austin quarry and brickyard that flourished in the 1800s. The church cost $50,000 to construct, a significant sum of money in those days. Just as Austin was called the ‘mother camp’ to central and northern Nevada mining towns; St. Augustine’s was the ‘mother church’ that spawned other Catholic churches in Nevada. Emma Nevada, the famous opera singer, received her first communion and sang at the church. The nine-rank Henry Kilgen pipe organ has been fully restored and is the only one in existence in the world. In the late 1930s, fourteen murals were painted on the interior walls by Tahoe artist Raphael Jolly. Little else has been done to the structure and it remained virtually the same as in 1866. As the fortunes of Austin rose and fell, the parish membership dwindled, services ceased to be held there, and the structure fell into disrepair. The church was sold to a private individual in 2004, who then formed a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization to restore it. After ten years of restoration and over a million dollars spent (most of it from the State of Nevada, Commission for Cultural Affairs grants), the church will re-open as a community cultural center September 27, 2014. Planned activities include artist workshops, historic presentations, docent tours, art shows, musical presentations, and permanent and visiting exhibits of local history. For additional information about the St. Augustine Cultural Center please visit http://www.goaustinnevada.com/staug.html or e-mail staugustine’firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Christmas in Nevada | By: Patricia D. Cafferata
The delightful and touching stories in Christmas in Nevada tell how Nevadans have celebrated the holiday, from 1858 to the present day. Some are told by well-known Nevadans, such as Robert Laxalt, and former governors Bob List and Richard Bryan, but much more of the book shows ordinary Nevadans celebrating in diverse ways the wonders of the season. The range of the state’s ethnic and immigrant heritage is showcased by stories of Basque, Mexican American, Native American, and African American celebrations, along with traditions of Italian, German, Danish, and Serbian origin. Some of the more unusual accounts include the story of three miners trapped underground for forty-five days during the Christmas season, Tonopah’s “Nevergreen” tree, and Reno’s Santa Pub Crawl with thousands of costumed revelers. Through extensive research and personal interviews, Patricia D. Cafferata has created a heartwarming collection of stories, guaranteed to be treasured. To you order a copy of “Christmas in Nevada” please visit www.unpress.nevada.edu or call 800-621-2736.
- Nevada Association of Counties Sesquicentennial Tree
In honor of Nevada’s Sesquicentennial, the Nevada Association of Counties (NACO) planted and dedicated a tree. On the evening of Friday, September 19th, 2014, the tree was planted in conjunction with the “Nevada’s Counties Celebrate the Sesquicentennial” event. The tree was planted in the lawn of the NACO offices located in the historic Ormsby Rosser House, built in 1862, located at the corner 3rd St. and Minnesota St. in Carson City. For more information, please visit www.nvnaco.org, or call (775) 848-8004.
- Churchill County Time Capsule
Fallon Mayor Ken Tedford’s NV 150 Commission and the Churchill County Museum Association will honor Nevada’s sesquicentennial by placing of a time capsule on Nevada Day in Fallon. The time capsule will be placed within a permanent outdoor display at the southeast corner of the Churchill County Museum located at 1050 South Maine Street in Fallon, NV. The special dedication ceremony will occur on Nevada Day (Oct. 31), the official date of Nevada’s birthday. Individuals and groups throughout Churchill County were asked to place an item in the time capsule that best represents the city of Fallon, Churchill County or Nevada such as a letter, a document, a photo, a sound recording, a video, a small book, or any other item that would not exceed a measurement of 6 inches by 6 inches by 6 inches. The Nevada Sesquicentennial Commission placed a special Nevada 150 shaped thumb drive in the time capsule that included pictures taken throughout the sesquicentennial celebration. For additional information about the Churchill County Time Capsule project please visit www.ccmuseum.org or call 775-423-3677.
- Mineral County Time Capsule
Mineral County will be installing a Time Capsule at the “Old Courthouse” in Hawthorne. This Time Capsule will include items from each county office, public organizations, a letter signed by as many local citizens as possible and various items that represent Mineral County, with the hope that the Time Capsule will be opened during the Bicentennial Celebrations in 2064. The Mineral County Time Capsule was dedicated in front of the Historic 1883 Mineral County Courthouse, located at 549 C St. in Hawthorne, NV was be held on November 8, 2014. Photo by Vic Trujillo.For more information please contact the Mineral County Museum at (775) 945-5142.
- The Three Kids Mine Painting
The Manganese Ore Plant, AKA Three Kids Mine, in Henderson has a battle born history from 1917-1961. The mine and mill sites had three periods of activity each related to a time of war and internal tensions (WWI, WWII, and the Korean and Cold War years). While manganese is used in tough alloys and resistant to wear, manganese production of sufficient quality required the construction of the new mill and corresponded to the period of high demand in WWII and during the Cold War era. In 1961 most of the rich ore was depleted and the U.S. Government contracts were terminated. The mine and mill were dismantled and closed in 1962. In about 1957, artist Anna Lee Smith painted two water-color scenes entitled Manganese Ore Plant. Her paintings depicted The Three Kids Mine and its mill and process plant. At the time she was living and painting in Henderson, Nevada, just a few miles from the site of the old mine. She made a gift of the paintings to her friend and fellow Henderson artist Elaine LaPorta and, in time, granted permission to Lou LaPorta, founder of the Henderson Historical Society, to copy the paintings and donate them for their historical significance and contribution to the history of the State Nevada and The City of Henderson. The Henderson Historical Society and the City of Henderson have a number of black and white photos of the Three Kids Mine, but the Anna Lee Smith watercolors may be the only paintings ever executed of the site. They are, for this reason, a special resource for preserving the memory of this historic place. In honor of Nevada’s Sesquicentennial the Henderson Historical Society will be donating the historical painting of the Three Kids Mine to Governor Sandoval and Henderson Mayor Hafen. For more information, contact the Henderson Historical Society at (702) 568-1088 or visit http://www.hendersonhistoricalsociety.org/
- The Coming Together Quilt
The “Coming Together” quilt is a project of the Nevada Clergy Association undertaken by the Nevada Prayer Breakfast Planning Committee. In October, committee member Patricia “Pat” Meidell of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came up with the idea for a quilt as a way for the diverse interfaith community to celebrate the state’s sesquicentennial. Members of 14 faith communities pooled their talents to produce a symbol of unity for Nevada’s 150th anniversary of statehood. Members of the Nevada Clergy Association around the state were contacted, and the 14 quilt blocks were assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. The faith communities chose quilters from their congregations to make the quilt blocks featuring symbols of their faith. A 15th center block is dedicated to the state of Nevada and includes the Nevada 150 logo. The squares on the quilt represent (in no particular order): the Baha’i Faith; Temple Sinai; the Latter-day Saints; Unitarian-Universalist Fellowship of Northern Nevada; Our Lady of Snows, the Catholic Diocese of Reno; Temple Beth-Or; the Nevada Hindu Community; the Children of Temple Earth; the Reno Buddhist Center; Trinity Episcopal Church; the International Community of Christ; Northern Nevada Muslim Community; Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd; and First Congregational Church. Linda Lasco of the Sierra Sewing Center handled quilting; Sandy Steele did embroidery for the quilt. Cindy Peterson, Joanne Martineau and Nancy Hearne did fabrication, sashing and binding on the quilt. The quilt was unveiled and presented to the State of Nevada on Tuesday, April 29, 2014, at the Nevada Clergy Association’s annual Nevada Prayer Breakfast. Receiving the quilt on behalf of the State was Patricia Cafferata, member of the Nevada 150 Commission. The quilt will be a “traveling quilt,” visiting the various participating congregations until the end of 2014 when it will be presented to Governor Sandoval’s Office for permanent display as a Nevada 150 Legacy Project.
- Last Chance Joe
Last Chance Joe was originally installed in 1958 at Dick Graves Nugget in downtown Sparks and has been a Nevada landmark for many decades. He was built by RH Grosh Scenic Studios in Los Angeles – a firm that also produced work for Disney. Joe was originally shipped to Sparks via train in three pieces. He has presided over downtown Sparks for 56 years and is an irreplaceable piece of roadside Americana typical of mid-century design. As part of ongoing renovations to the property, the Nugget has donated Last Chance Joe and the first $5,000 to move Joe to a prominent location on the front of the Sparks Heritage Museum on Victorian Ave. in downtown Sparks. With the help of Q&D Construction and a generous donor, the costs are covered to remove and relocate Last Chance Joe. Help is still needed from the community to cover engineering at the new location, restoration of any damage caused by the move and ongoing maintenance expenses. For additional information or to contribute the Last Chance Joe Fund please visit http://nevadafund.org/last-chance-joe-fund/.